History Of Pier 13
Landfills created South Street at the edge of the East River in 1800. Pier 13, along with more than 40 other piers, occupied a two-mile stretch of the river in Lower Manhattan by 1850. By the 1950ís, following a long decline in maritime activity, the shipping pier was no longer in use.
Recreational, indoor tennis came to Pier 13 with the erection of a tennis bubble that covered the entire pier. The bubble was removed several years ago and the pier remained derelict - closed off with a chain link fence and concrete barriers. It was considered unsafe and was completely removed in December 2007.
Click to see recent photographs taken of Pier 13 and its surroundings.